Varied Not Random140 episodes - English - Latest episode: 14 days ago -
Hosted by Pat Sherwood & Adrian Bozman, each episode is packed with insightful & actionable information aimed at people passionate about CrossFit, health & fitness, as well as general strength & conditioning. If you are an athlete, coach, gym owner or simply enjoy improving yourself & those around you through fitness, you've come to the right place. A podcast brought to you by the BTWB team.
Homepage Apple Podcasts Google Podcasts Overcast Castro Pocket Casts RSS feed
- After repeating benchmark workouts several times it can be fun to modify the workout to make it a new experience for athletes. - Pat & Adrian discuss how to put a fun twist on benchmark workouts. - They describe how to accomplish this through general principles, as well as provide specific workout examples.
- Gerald Parker is a husband, a father, a CrossFitter & he is also a Judge serving on the Montgomery County Common Pleas Court Bench (General Division). - This Division hears all adult felony criminal cases & civil cases. - Judge Parker has been instrumental in creating programs that use physical fitness to help people get their lives in a positive direction & avoid prison. - He discusses these topics & programs with Pat & Adrian.
- Dave Durante is a multiple time USA gymnastics national champion and was part of the 2008 Beijing Olympic Team as an alternate. He helped coachStanford University to an NCAA Team Title in 2009. Dave was a lead coach with the CrossFit Gymnastics L1 course from 2013-2015. He also wrote and developed the CrossFit Gymnastics Advanced Course. Dave is co-owner of Power Monkey Fitness and Power Monkey Camp. - Dave discusses his athletic background as well as what led him to CrossFit. - Pat, Adria...
- David Osorio is the owner of CrossFit South Brooklyn. - This gym was established in 2007 & has undergone countless evolutions. - David shares some of the best practices he has developed over the years to optimize CrossFit in a group setting. - David does not assign an “Rx’d” load for his gym’s workouts. He also has 2 days a week when members have the freedom to choose parts of their workout. - He shares these ideas along with other aspects that make CF South Brooklyn unique & special. -...
- An athlete has bad shoulders & has undergone multiple surgeries. Overhead movements such as the push jerk seem to do more harm than good. - The athlete feels the movement should be avoided, but their coach believes otherwise. - When, if ever, is it appropriate to stop doing certain movements? - Pat & Adrian discuss this topic.
- A rowing athlete was told by their coach that in order to improve they needed to spend more time rowing. - This same rowing coach also told the athlete there was no benefit in strength training or high intensity training. - Pat & Adrian explore the validity of this claim.
- What are good substitutions for pull-ups if you don’t have a pull-up bar? - What are the differences & similarities between pull-ups & chin-ups? - Is one movement better than the other?
- If you have an occupation, like a 1st responder, that requires you to be ready to work at any time, with no warm-up how do you adequately prepare for this? - Should people in this line of work modify the manner in which they train? - Pat & Adrian discuss this topic & more.
- A VNR listener is concerned the programming at their gym is bad & wants to know how to fix the situation. - Pat & Adrian discuss how to evaluate programming. - They talk about the various aspects one should consider when discerning the effectiveness of a program.
- We’ve all had workouts where the weight felt extra heavy or it took much longer than expected. - Bad workouts can negatively affect your confidence, fill you with doubt & have you questioning your training. - What should you do after a “bad” workout to help get yourself back on track physically & mentally? - Pat & Adrian dive into this topic.
- Pat & Adrian discuss a CrossFit Journal article entitled “Foundations”. - This article was published in April 2002. It is full of useful information & explanations of methods that hold true even though 20 years have gone by.
- Chris Hinshaw is widely considered one of the top endurance coaches in the world. - He is a 10x Ironman Competitor who has coached 34 CrossFit Games Champions as well as 50+ CrossFit Games Podium Athletes. - Pat & Adrian talk with Chris about the benefits of running, why it works & various strategies to improve your performance. - Chris & Pat created the VNR 1.5 Run Program & discuss what makes it so special & how to use it.
- A VNR listener wants to know if working out will correct poor posture? - This VNR listener says he has poor posture in his neck & shoulders. - He wants to know if he should fix his posture before he begins doing CrossFit? - Pat & Adrian discuss this topic.
- Adrian Bozman was the lead programmer who created the events for the 2023 CrossFit Games. - In this episode Adrian walks through all of the events with Pat. - Adrian discusses his thought process & shares unique insights.
- A VNR listener wants to know if gymnastics grips & wrist wraps are necessary? - What purpose do they serve & who should use them? - Pat & Adrian discuss this topic.
- A VNR listener is buying an existing gym. The current training staff seems to be “managing” the group classes well, but not actually “coaching” members. The new owner wants to elevate the staff to offer world class coaching. How can this be done? - Pat & Adrian discuss this topic.
- A VNR listener asked if coaches should do the same workouts as members? - Pat & Adrian discuss this topic & offer their own perspective.
- A VNR listener asked which workout schedule is better, six 30-minute sessions a week or three 1-hour sessions a week? - This person is a new parent trying to fit as much fitness as possible into their busy schedule. - Pat & Adrian discuss the pros & cons of these two options & offer a 3rd option to consider.
- A VNR listener wrote in asking for an explanation of strict vs kipping movements for the average Joe. - Is one type better or more beneficial than the other? - Should one be given a higher priority than the other? - Do strict movements help kipping movements or is it the other way around? - Pat & Adrian to give their thoughts & opinions on this topic.
- A VNR listener wrote in asking if any specific criteria need to be met in order to call yourself a “CrossFitter”? - Can you scale workouts & be a CrossFitter? - Can you avoid certain movements & still be a CrossFitter? - Pat & Adrian to give their thoughts & opinions on this topic.
- A VNR listener (Eugune Y.) wrote in asking if he should schedule a “deload week” into his training? - He also wanted to know what the potential benefits would be. - Pat & Adrian to give their thoughts & opinions on this topic.
- A VNR listener wrote in saying they believed things making Crossfit prohibitive to people is the price of attending a gym & having to take “on-ramp” classes. - Another VNR listener asked the question “Are CrossFitters athletes?” - Pat & Adrian to give their thoughts & opinions on these topics.
- A VNR listener asked Pat & Adrian to give their thoughts & opinions on working out “For Time” versus “For Quality”. - Another VNR listener asked what to do when some gym members refuse to do certain movements due to philosophical reasons or a fear of injury.
- A VNR listener who is a Police Officer wanted to know how to design a proper fitness test for 1st Responders. - Evaluating the requirements of the profession, programming considerations such as equipment, ease of judging, & much more are discussed.
- A VNR listener wanted to know why some movement standards (like box jumps & wall ball target heights) seem to be based on gender instead of the individual athlete. - Pat & Adrian give their thoughts on this topic.
- Working out & nutrition go hand in hand, but is one more important than the other? - Pat & Adrian give their thoughts on this topic.
- Hannah, a listener of the VNR podcast, asked if it is possible to get “burned out” on CrossFit & what you can do to move past that feeling. - She has been doing CrossFit for 3 years, but now does not seem to be getting PRs or learning new skills. - She is also recovering from a torn meniscus & just wants to find a way to start enjoying the gym again. - Pat & Adrian give their thoughts on this topic.
- Diane, a listener of the VNR podcast, asked if it is possible for members to learn & improve skills by only attending class, or is additional work outside of class required? - Pat & Adrian give their thoughts on this topic.
- Jackie, a listener of the VNR podcast, plans on opening a gym. They want to know if they should post the upcoming workouts on their website or keep them a secret until the members show up for class? - Pat & Adrian give their thoughts on this topic. - Pat shares the opinions of Nicole Christensen (owner of CrossFit Roots) & Scott Panchik (owner of CrossFit Mentality) on this subject as well.
- What should a coach do if a member is intentionally doing fewer reps to get a faster time on a workout? - Pat & Adrian give their thoughts on this topic. - Pat shares the opinions of Nicole Christensen (owner of CrossFit Roots) & Scott Panchik (owner of CrossFit Mentality) on this subject as well.
- What was the original intent of the CrossFit methodology? - What occupations found CrossFit very useful? - What does preparing for the “unknown & unknowable” really mean? - Pat & Adrian take a walk down memory lane regarding how CrossFit began.
- How many days a week should you work out & what should the schedule be? - Is 3 days working out & 1 day of rest better than 5 days on & 2 days off? - Pat & Adrian answer a question from a listener of the VNR podcast on this topic.
- If a box jump is too high for an athlete should they keep the height & do step-overs or should they reduce the height & jump? - Pat & Adrian answer a question from a listener of the VNR podcast on this topic. - What are the benefits of box jumps & why should someone try to include them in their programming?
- Pat & Adrian interview retired USMC Major Brian Chontosh, aka. “Tosh”. - Tosh talks about mental toughness, the benefits of challenges/adversity & the program he created to help veterans. - Tosh has completed in ultramarathons up to 238 miles in distance, mountain biked for 24 hours, he has done 9 expedition adventure races & rowed across the Atlantic Ocean. - During his time in the military he did several combat deployments & was awarded the Navy Cross.
- Haley Adams started CrossFit when she was only 14 years old. - Now, at 22 years old she has competed at the CrossFit Games 7 times. - Haley discusses how being one of the top competitors in the world was not all glory & success. - She openly shares with Pat & Adrian her struggles to deal with the pressure she put on herself as well as her battle with an eating disorder. - Haley explains the steps she is taking to put herself on a positive path mentally & physically moving forward.
- Joe Pangallo is one of the owners of CrossFit Spring Hill. - Joe tells Pat & Adrian how he used episodes of Varied Not Random to help keep two members from quitting. - Pat, Adrian & Joe discuss these stories, but they also explore many other topics & challenges faced by affiliate owners.
- Pat interviews Dale King, the owner of PSKC CrossFit. - Dale uses his gym as a way to help addicts during their road to recovery. - Pat & Dale discuss the opioid crisis & how CrossFit is making a positive impact in the lives of people trying to overcome substance abuse issues.
Adrian Bozman is the Director of the CrossFit Games and did the Open Test programming this year. Pat interviews Adrian about each of the 2023 CrossFit Open workouts & the programming process behind them.
- A VNR listener asked, “Does CrossFit make you less athletic?” - The listener also asked how to program to get out of the up/down & forward/back planes we often train in. - Pat & Adrian explore these questions.
- Should you pace a workout or just go full send? - Is one strategy “better” than the other? - Pat & Adrian dive into this question.
- Laurence Shahlaei has competed 11 times at the World’s Strongest Man. - He won Europe’s Strongest Man in 2016, he was the Ultimate Strongman World Champion in 2016, he’s been Britain’s Strongest man twice & won UK’s Strongest Man in 2017. - Pat & Laurence bridge the gaps between Strongman & CrossFit to find common ground. - Laurence talks about training to be one of the strongest people on the planet & what it really takes. - Pat & Laurence also discuss his successful journey to lose 100 p...
- An interview with Dr. Nathan Jenkins. - Pat & Adrian discuss the relationship between CrossFit & exercise science with Dr. Jenkins, who has a PHD in this field. - CrossFit, exercise science, pros & cons of clinical studies, energy systems & much more is covered in this highly informative discussion.
- Big picture concepts regarding coaching & training Masters athletes. - Things to consider if you are a Masters athlete. - Should Masters athletes have different programming? - One day everyone will stop getting Pr’s, what then becomes the point of training? - Pat & Adrian tackle these topics & others.
- What are the key elements of an effective warm-up? - What are the benefits of a warm-up? - How should you create a warm-up? - What are the key elements of an effective cool down? - What are the benefits of a cool down? - How should you create a cool down? - Pat & Adrian walk through these topics using the hero workout “DT” as an example.
Common arguments against CrossFit are discussed. The criticisms covered in this episode are: "CrossFit encourages sloppy form." "CrossFit trainers are not qualified to coach people." "Doing Olympic lifts for time is a disaster." "GHD sit-ups are destructive to your back." "The sumo deadlift high pull will injure your shoulders." Pat & Adrian talk about these topics & others.
- Someone posted a comment stating they only do kipping pull-ups because they will show up in the CrossFit Open. - This comment sparked the idea of this episode dedicated to kipping. - What is kipping? What is the point of it? Why would someone choose to kip a movement instead of doing it strict? - These questions & more are covered by Pat & Adrian.
- A VNR listener posted the question, “How important is it for the coaches to understand the intended stimulus of a workout? When should an athlete scale the workout UP?” - Pat & Adrian discuss intended stimulus, modifying workouts & scaling UP.
- A VNR listener posted the question, “How much intentional hypertrophy training should CrossFitters at different levels perform?” - Pat & Adrian discuss this topic & also take a deep dive into accessory work.
- Rich is a new trainer with less than one year’s experience who is about to start coaching at a new gym. - He posted a question asking Pat & Adrian for recommendations to assist him in becoming a better coach & how to make a good impression at his new job. - Pat & Adrian discuss this topic in depth & offer perspective, tips & solutions that apply not only to being a coach, but to other industries as well as life in general.
- A very common question is…”Can one workout a day make you strong?” - Pat & Adrian cover this topic. - What is a useful level of strength for everyday life is also discussed.